Supporting HP’s Color Inkjet Web Press Family
Enhancing the look and durability of high-speed inkjet printing with one-pass productivity.
The Epic WebCoat 200, 350 & 400 provide in-line UV or aqueous coating for all of HP’s high-speed Color Inkjet Web Presses. By adding coating to the printed surface, the appearance is enhanced and durability and performance is improved. Coating creates the look and feel of offset printing and is a perfect addition to direct mail campaigns and other printing applications.
The WebCoat line of coaters are easy to use and run by the press operator. The Epic coaters offer a unique anilox metering system, which applies precise and consistent lay down and supports single side (top or bottom) and duplex coating of the web. Epic’s WebCoat is a valuable addition to any HP Inkjet Web Press, adding eye-catching appeal and improved performance, in-line at press speed.
- Eliminates secondary coating operations
- Maintains integrity of variable data printing
- Dramatically increases rub resistance
- Adds protection, prevents damage in mail system
- Creates the look and feel of offset printing
- Runs in-line with the press, at press speed
- Single operator for printing and coating
- Precisely and consistently applies coating, via an anilox metering system
- Applies UV or aqueous coating, with quick changeover
- Supports matte or gloss finishes
- Coats top, bottom or duplex at touch at the touch of a screen
- Hardware Requirements: HPT200, 300, 350 or 400 Color Inkjet Web Press
- Operator Interface: Unit has integrated console to set substrate, coat mode (simplex or duplex) and other parameters.
- Operating Speeds: Supports press speeds up to 600fpm (substrate, coating type & lay down dependent)
- Paper Feed: Installs in-line after press
- Web Width: Accommodates all web widths up to 30″
- Unit Dimensions: (LxWxH) 138 x 96 x 131 inches (3.51 x 3.41 x 3.45 meters)
- Power Service Required: 440-480VAC 200 amp, 3 phase
- Paper Weight: 27 lb text – 130 lb cover (40 – 350 gsm)
- Coating Type: UV or aqueous – consult Epic for recommended formulations
- Media Type: Wide range of standard uncoated offset and inkjet optimized coated media (coating lay down varies on uncoated vs. coated)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: How long does is take to change web widths on the Epic WebCoat Coating System?
A: The quick-change applicator system allows a web width change in less than 10 minutes without the need to re-web the press.
- Q: Does the Epic WebCoat coat both sides of the web?
A: Yes, single side operation is also possible for the top or bottom of the web.
- Q: Does the coater work for both coated and uncoated papers?
A: The coater works on both coated and uncoated papers, however the results vary significantly.
- Q: What coatings are supported?
A: Many options are available , priced similar to offset coatings. HP will release a list of recommended products and suppliers.
- Q: What is anilox metering?
A: Anilox is a precise method of metering coating material. It uses laser engraved rollers to meter coating volume and produces consistent, high-quality results.
- Q. How is the coater cleaned?
A. There is a built-in pumping system, that includes a wash-up mode. The coating chambers are easily accessible via a roll-out tray.
- Q. When do you use UV vs. aqueous coating? How are they different?
A. Both types of coatings are commonly used in offset applications, the job parameters and customer preferences dictate which coating to use. UV coatings are 100% solids and offer excellent protection, in both gloss and matte formulations. Aqueous coatings represent a lower cost alternative, where high gloss is not a requirement.
- Q. What is the process to change over from aqueous to UV coating?
A. Change over is accomplished by the use of the built-in pumping system’s wash-up mode.